Sunday, February 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part B

My first thing I noticed in reading Part B of this selection is how vengeful Venus is portrayed. It reminds me of many classic fairy tales; they all share one thing in common -- a mean-spirited mother. I wonder where and why this tradition started. Even men today are known for hating their stepmother, though maybe for different reasons. As I continue to read, I keep getting classic fairy tale vibes from the story. However, the one big difference from many of the more modern fairy tales is that in Cupid and Psyche, it's the man in trouble. 

Overall, the story feels very formulaic, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. Psyche has hardships to overcome. There are some tasks in her way. Obviously, this storytelling technique has survived ages, so maybe formulaic is good.

 ~ ~ ~

 Bibliography: Cupid and Psyche by Apuleius and translated by Tony Kline, source
Image: Psyche in the Underworld, by Hillemacher

No comments:

Post a Comment