Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Week 4 Story Planning: The Healing Name of Ra

Most of my story will follow the original story. I will begin the story by establishing the fact that Ra has more than one name. Then I will introduce the antagonist of the story, Isis. I think I want to expand a bit on her backstory other than wanting to hold power equal to that of Ra's. Older stories sometimes lack character motivation, so I think this would be a great opportunity to add to the story. 


Next, I will want to introduce the character who will become ill due to Isis. I will want to establish a daily routine for this character and show how Isis will interfere with that routine. Do I want to keep a serpent? I could change it up a bit as it doesn't really matter. Maybe I'll choose whatever animal the god I end up using is most associated with. This could help me because that god would then probably trust that animal, and it would provide a reason that god would interact with the animal. This will allow me to change up how the attack plays out and not rely on an invisible creature.

Ra had company at the time of the attack, so I probably want to keep this aspect to provide writer's convenience. From here, I will need to decide who the chosen god will ask for. Ra called upon his children. Maybe I will use one of Ra's children, and then I can have the offspring call upon Ra in my story. This also might give a bit of an emotional tie to provide the motivation to Ra to reveal his name. 

However, as I type this, I question to myself why Ra wouldn't be able to heal his child. So maybe the selected god asks for Ra, but his company is Isis who then takes the god hostage. I could set up some reason Isis is aware and can help (with Ra's name revealed), but write it so that it doesn't seem like Isis is behind everything (though she is).

From here, I would then deal with the struggle of Ra keeping or revealing his name. Maybe he will try lesser things to see if it satisfies the unknown perpetrator. Now I need to decide if he will succeed through a clever idea that doesn't require his hidden name, if he will give up his name to save his child, or if he will forgo revealing his name and let his child perish. I think I should sleep on this decision and see what seems like the best direction after reflection.

~ ~ ~

Author's Note: I took the story The Secret Name of Ra and imagined it slightly different. The original story sees Ra become ill due to Isis' actions that were motivated by her desire to know the secret name. Ultimately, Ra revealed the name to Isis and became whole again. For my version, I wondered if Ra would reveal his name if it were instead another god in great pain. Would he be selfish and keep his name to himself, thus dooming the ill god to death? Or would Ra act out of mercy? I also changed the name of the story to better reflect the power of Ra's name.

Bibliography: The Secret Name of Ra, by Donald Mackenzie

Image: The Egyptian Goddess Isis, via Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

  1. Hello again Todd! I am really excited to read the story you write! It is interesting to see the thought process other people go through when planning to write a story. I usually just go for it. When I get stuck I put it away then try again in a little bit! Maybe I should try planning it all out first! I can't wait to read what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I wasn't quite sure where you were going with the story since I haven't read it quite yet. Most of my reading notes are quite similar to how you're planning to write your story. There's definitely plenty of elements to the story.
    If it were me, I'd like to see the opposite happen. Rather than healing, quite possibly the death portion could occur. Then again that's also my cynical side coming out. It makes great for drama and suspense. There could even be an action sequence in the story? Haha.
    I hope something comes up and I can't wait to see how it turns out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete