Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Week 10 Reading Notes: Cherokee Myths, Part A

The first story in this section is a creation story. This one is really different from most creation stories I've ever read. It is really neat to see the differences between cultures.

The next story is about fire. In it, many creatures attempt to retrieve fire from an island, and most of them fail to do so. I might be able to take the essence of this story -- many animals, or people, not being well equipped to accomplish a task -- and make a new story.

The next story is about finding the sunrise. One thing that really caught my attention is that they came across a tribe with odd death-related rituals. If a husband dies before his wife, then she is buried alive with his corpse. I could maybe expand upon this part. Even though it is not about the Cherokee people, it still is an interesting place I could explore as a writer.

The next story is about the formation of a constellation. 6 boys use a Feather-dance and begin to ascend to the sky. Eventually, they become a constellation. I figure that their mothers would be in great mourning so I might want to write a story about some rituals that may have developed as a result. I would want to probably include the pine tree since it was of great significance in the story as well.

Reading the Moon and the Thunders, I was first surprised that the Sun was female. Usually, the sun is a male figure. The Moon courts a man while the Sun is away. Maybe this would be a good spot to write a story about their time together.



The Deluge immediately reminded my of the common "Great Flood" story present in many cultures. However, this one is interesting to me because many of the cultures with a Great Flood were once located in the Fertile Crescent. Maybe I could do a journal entry story about the process of building a big raft. This would also give me the chance to employ a new writing technique that I've yet to do.

I read the remaining stories, but I really like the idea of retelling the Deluge in a journal storytelling frame. So this is what I plan to write tomorrow.


~ ~ ~

Bibliography: Myths of the Cherokee, by James Mooney

Image: photo by Mike Baird

No comments:

Post a Comment