Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

This class has really been beneficial in allowing me to have the growth mindset. Without a course like this, I would never even dream of taking a creative writing class. I like to stick to what I know and what I've experienced before. However, with the freedom this class offers, I actually can focus on growth rather than trying to reach performance-based standards. I actually find myself wanting to challenge myself because I know that if I do poorly, there aren't many repercussions. I can just try again the next week; there's nothing in place to discourage challenge. One weakness I'm trying to better overcome with this class is putting off assignments until the last minute. So far, that's not really worked. But my goal for the second half of the semester is to start working ahead. This class allows for that to happen, I just need to take advantage of it. Another thing that I like about this class is that I don't feel like I need to perfect each assignment. Usually, I try to make my work flawless. But with this class, I can build upon my skills each week, over and over. If I don't get how I like it the first week, I can try again the following week. Or I can try something new and see if I like the new way better. Next semester, I hope to also experiment in my writing more than I already am. I've tried new things. But I want to never settle for what's comfortable. And again, this class is perfect for that. Concerning the readings, I've exposed myself to a lot of different cultures and their stories simply because there was nothing to worry about by choosing something unfamiliar. I've read stories I'd never imagine reading in a class, and I have actually rather enjoyed many of them.

~ ~ ~

Image: Old-Growth Forest, via Flikr

No comments:

Post a Comment