Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Week 7 Storytelling: The Castle of the Moon

Once upon a time, there was a young child who was infatuated with the moon. When he wasn't at school, he was either learning about the moon from the local scholar or telling his widowed mother about the moon. At night, he spent hours gazing through the telescope, hoping one day he might visit the spectacle. One night as counted the number of craters he could discern, he noticed a rather odd thing. At the bottom of the wall of a crater, a small tree was blossoming.

Running to his mom, he found her quietly reading a book. Before he could announce his findings, he noticed the book his mom was reading was about the moon. "Mother, have you become as curious as I am about the moon?"

"No, not as quite. I know how bad you would like to visit the moon, and I heard from a soothsayer that it was possible! She handed me this book and told me the way to the moon was inside. I figured I entertain her folly. Maybe you'd like to explore the book yourself?"

"I would love to, mother!" And with that, the child grabbed the book and ran into his room.

For years, he poured over every line of the book, holding on the hope that he might visit the moon. His mother soon had gotten over the childishness of his interest and began to push his to find a wife. Resisting, he would leave the house with the book hidden in his satchel so that his mother would think he was socializing with the women of the town.

One day, he passed a small shop hidden between imposing building. "This must be the soothsayer my mother saw years ago!" Entering the shop, he made his way towards the back where he heard some noise. Passing through a curtain, he found a small chamber where an old woman was studying ancient books and scrolls.

"Hello, I believe my mother visited you years ago about visiting the moon!"

"Why yes, I remember her. Did she ever make it?"

"Well, no. But she was actually inquiring for me. Every since I was tiny, I all ever wanted to do was visit the moon."

"And why haven't you? I told her the way was in the book."

"Well, I wasn't sure what that meant. Regardless, I've recently been pressured by my mother to find a mate, so my attention hasn't been fully on the book in quite a while."

 "If the moon is what you still seek, wait until the next full moon, and gaze upon the cover in an open field."

"But I don't want to disappoint my mother by being alone the rest of my life!"

"If you make it to the moon, build a castle of unparalleled beauty. Then you must wait, and a woman will come to you. She will live in the castle and be yours for as long as you live."

. . .

The full moon had finally arrived. The man now sat alone in the field miles away from home. Gazing at the cover, he soon grew tired. He began to nod off, only to jolt himself awake. Looking around, he was unsure of his location. "Have I been kidnapped," he wondered. Glancing up, he immediately knew where he was. Earth rested above him. He had made it to the moon!

Traversing the surface of the rocky body, he wondered where he was going to build his grandiose castle. He journeyed for a week before deciding he had found the place. Down the side of the crater, he saw the very tree from when he was little. And just like him, it had grown much larger. "What a beautiful tree," he clamored. He then worried that it might rival the appearance of the castle he was ready to build. "I will chop this down immediately so that my wife will come!"

He began building. Years passed, and soon, centuries. As he built, he would rest under the shade of the tree that had been regrowing. At the make of a thousand years, he decided the tree was back to the beauty before he chopped it down. So again, he chopped it down. A further two-hundred years later, the castle was complete. So under the tree, he sat and waited until the day his wife would arrive.


 ~ ~ ~

Author's Note: In the original story of The Lady of the Moon, a prince named Hou was given the herb of immortality, which he hid in his home. Later, his wife ate of the herb, and she floated through the clouds all the way to the moon. Here, she found a castle built by the man in the moon and lived there. I wondered why there was already a man there, and why he built a castle. This story served as a backstory to man and castle on the moon.

Bibliography: The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921) 

Image: Illustration from the book

4 comments:

  1. From the beginning, I already took a liking to your story. I could tell it would be different since the child was obsessed with the moon. As I was reading this story, I truly believed in the little boy and his dreams of visiting the moon. I really like your story. It is very original and well-written. I also like how your main character is a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Todd! I really like your story a lot. You did a great job of catching my attention at the beginning and then keeping it all the way through. I like that this was a back story to explain the original source a little better.I like how you wrote the character as well as well which is pretty refreshing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story this week was lovely! I thought that you did a good job creating a backstory for the man that was living on the moon. I liked how you gave the boy a passion for the moon, and that was why he ended up there. I think that made it so much cuter. I am intrigued to read the original story now to see what happens when the woman finally makes it to the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting and creative story! You added in some great twists from the original from what it looks like and the story flowed well and was easy to read. I like that you followed the whole life of the young boy and his adventures in learning about the moon, but your story was not too long! Great work!

    ReplyDelete