Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman), Part A



For Part A, I mainly focused on Little Red Cap since it would be featured in my storybook. With it in mind that I would be retelling this story to be a date between the wolf and Little Red, I wanted to find elements that could be worked into my rendition.

It is obvious that I have to keep the titular red cap; it is essentially Little Red's identity. It came from her grandma, so I don't think that will have to change in my story.

On a side note: I wish my mom sent me cake and wine when I'm sick! I'm really not sure where I'll work in the mother since the story really doesn't involve her much, but I might be able to keep her as someone who helps catalyze Little Red's usage of Tinder.

When Little Red first meets the wolf, she is unfamiliar with what creature the wolf is. That kinda reminds me of social media, Tinder specifically. You meet someone new, and you really know nothing besides the superficial, surface details. 

The story also spends quite a bit of time talking about the flowers, so I probably should include the flowers. Since Little Red collects them before going to see her grandmother, maybe I can find a way to swap it where it is actually the wolf collecting them. Maybe he will get them before a date with Little Red.

Another classic part of the story is Little Red describing the wolf's features. So since Little Red is going on a date, maybe she describes what the wolf looks like to a friend -- maybe her mother. Since my story is about the two dating, I do not think it would make sense if the wolf was a threat. So I definitely plan to take out that aspect of the story. I'm not sure what to do with the huntsman in that case, but maybe I can make another character te huntsman too. Maybe the wolf is the huntsman. Or maybe her grandfather (which is a character I could always add since he is not in the original story).
Since I've already established that the "original" version is a lie spread by the wolf's ex, this one will need to probably end on a happy note. So no murder will be needed.

~ ~ ~

Bibliography: The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales as translated by D. L. Ashliman

Image: Little Red Riding Hood 1881, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment