Sunday, April 9, 2017

Growth Mindset: Growth Beyond School



This year school year, I have served as a program director for the Union Programming Board, and I can say with 100% confidence that it has been the single most challenging thing I have done in college. It has pushed me in so many ways, and I have seen growth in myself that I would have never imagined. Being able to call me a leader is something I never thought I would be able to do. Yet, here I am, two events down. I have seen growth in time-management skills, growth in empathy, and growth in self-confidence. My own mother was telling me today that it astounded her, and many others from my hometown, to see me flourishing the way I am. This was simply something so out of character for incoming freshman Todd.

Next year, I see even more growth for myself due to UPB. I will be taking on a new role on the executive board -- public relations director. Now, I get to learn a whole lot of new stuff. How to brand an organization, how to effectively use social media, how to market an organization so that we can attract more members, and so on. This is new territory for me, but I believe the growth will be worth the effort.

Image: plant, via Pexels

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad I noticed this post, Todd! That was my experience in school also; my involvement in a program called DECal (still going strong at my old school: Berkeley DECal: student-organized courses for credit!) was what accounted for my real growth in college too, more so than any regular class that I took. I am glad you have had such a good experience with your UPB work this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that an organization has pushed you to grow so much! I have experienced similar growth through involvement within a couple of different organization over the past four years. It's crazy how taking upon new challenges and experiences can open up new parts of you that you didn't know before. Good luck with the remaining events of the semester!

    ReplyDelete