Sunday, April 9, 2017

Learning Challenge: Sharing a Happiness Tip



One tip I've taken and applied to my life is keeping a journal. I've found that since I've started, my overall happiness has increased. I just write down things about my day, whether good or bad, and then I reflect on them. I write how I think it applies to my life and how I should react to those things. I have learned that there are a couple of things to keep in mind when journaling.

First, don't write down only the bad stuff. If you only write down bad stuff, you start to think that your life never has good stuff. Likewise, don't only write down the good stuff. I find it hard to be reflective and self-critical if I don't acknowledge what I don't like.

Next, don't make it easy to journal. By this, I mean you shouldn't have an always-accessible journal. Don't do it on your phone. If you can write something in an instant, you won't give yourself the time to think about the thing. You won't think about how it actually affects your life. You won't be able to realize you overreacted.

 Writing it down makes you acknowledge it's real and that it matters to you. It may not work for you, but it has definitely made me a happier person. I've been able to recognize and work on the aspects of my life that I want to change. But I think self-reflection, in general, can make anyone happier.

Image: journal, via Pixabay

1 comment:

  1. I've been keeping a journal too! Often, when I can't sleep at night, I'll just start writing about my life. Things I'm excited for, things I'm struggling with, things I've accomplished, etc. I'm not sure if it's made me a happier person overall but I usually start the next day's plans off with a journal entry. It kind of feels like there's a lot of time to organize thoughts when it's night time.

    ReplyDelete