Thursday, April 20, 2017

Week 14 Reading Notes: Hans Christian Andersen, Part B



For this assignment, I chose to read the story of the Little Mermaid since that is the story I am adapting for my storybook. In my notes, I recorded things that stood out to me -- anything I might try to incorporate into my storybook entry.

The first character introduce is not the Little Mermaid, but instead the Sea King. Obviously, he must be included in my story. I also might want to include the marble statue the Little Mermaid adored. The story mentions she is 15. I think my story would have her at an older age, but I might start it at 15, progressing through her years to show how long she did not reach to the handsome prince (as I plan to do in my story). She also has a noticeable disconnect from all of her sisters. I would probably use this for conflict in my story.

The Little Mermaid has a notably beautiful voice -- which she later loses -- so I might use this as a feature of her. Since all the other stories I have written for my storybook maintain the original nature of characters (i.e. the wolf remained a wolf in my telling of Little Red Riding Hood), I have to figure out how to keep a mermaid a mermaid. I might need to expand on the side of the prince. He may have been in search of a mermaid to be his bride. I think the best bet is to give him motivation. I might even do one of those cheesy "find local singles in your area" type apps for a touch of humor.

A major piece of the original story is the loss of voice. I originally considered just having her too afraid to send a message to the prince. My intro mentions that this story was a blunder of Social Media's so I will need to find a way for him to screw up. I also might have his character act like she died to cover up his screw up.

~  ~  ~

Bibliography: Fairy Tales and Stories, by Hans Christian Andersen

ImageLittle Mermaid statue in Copenhagen

No comments:

Post a Comment