Sunday, January 8, 2017

Growth Mindset

I had not heard of Carol Dweck before this assignment, but I have heard of (what I now have a title by which to call it) the growth mindset. "Praise the effort not the result." Starting college, I would say I had a black-and-white fixed mindset. The credit goes to high school. How are you compared to your peers? GPA and class rank. It's about quantifiable differences in the students. I had it drilled into my brain that grades are all that matter. They're what get you high test scores, which gets you scholarships for college. I'm sure this routine wasn't designed with the intentions of conditioning students to not challenge themselves or to not take risks. But it was a side-effect, and we must now deal with it. However, like the video explains, we cannot solely treat the symptoms. In other words, we can't just tell everyone "C's get degrees!" to try and get students to challenge themselves. Instead, we must treat the "disease". Start way back where these mindsets first take hold -- at a young age.

Coming into OU was weird because I would hear a bunch of support for challenging myself while simultaneously hearing how important grades still are. These two ideas seemed, at first, to contradict each other. But that was because of my fixed mindset. Now I get it. Challenge yourself and you'll still do fine because you're putting in the effort. It's been a hard process to try and switch mindsets. At first, I was always looking for the easiest classes to fulfill requirements. After taking a few challenging courses, I see how much more rewarding they are. High school me would have scoffed at the notion of taking a perspectives class (a class that was primarily essay based and full of reading). But in hindsight, it's one of my favorite classes I've taken, and I accredit that to the challenges I faced.

This idea of a growth mindset is a rather fascinating thing. I've always had a competitive drive, and I've been satisfied with what that has brought me. But to know there's an arguably better way? Why aren't we pushing that?! Even if I don't (yet) naturally embrace challenges, I do try to be aware of it and force myself into challenges. I have three courses this semester that involve quite a bit of writing. That makes me uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. But I know my writing should improve. And maybe I'll ditch the habit of putting off writing assignments! I hope that I someday enjoy the uncomfortable.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad this resonated with you, Todd! As you might have guessed from my weird grading system, I am on kind of a crusade against "grades as goals" so that student might be able to shift to more meaningful goals, whatever those might be, lasting goals that will really be important to you in the future. I always felt that way about school (even when I was a student), so it was exciting for me to find the work of Carol Dweck and be able to give some scientific foundation for what started simply as a personal feeling (a STRONG personal feeling) on my part that grades were an obstacle to learning. I hope the opportunities to define and pursue your own goals in this class will make it worthwhile for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd,

    I totally agree with your reaction of OU initially. It’s strange to come in and expect to make straight A’s without being ready for what is about to come. There are plenty of challenges along the way but you seem driven and up for a challenge! Although you said it makes you really uncomfortable to write as much as you have been – the most I’ve learned in college is when I have been pushed out of my comfort zone!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Todd,
    I agree with you too. I think we most often find our minds stuck on a one track course and it causes us to tread water, rather than swim off into unfamiliar areas. For me, the growth mindset isn’t really a new thing, because I was raised with this type of mindset. I did gymnastics competitively for about 11 years and I was constantly encouraged to explore new skills and challenge myself to be the best that I could be. It was shocking to me actually, to realize that many people are not brought up in that environment. I think it's terrific to encourage our children in this way and raise them to be adults that don't settle for "okay" when they could be their "best".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, I think you have a great perspective on the growth mindset. In my growth mindset I focused mainly on how the growth mindset affected myself at the individual level. Your post, however, incorporates a broader view and gets at a solution to the problem. I think it's important to offer a solution if you're going to talk about a problem, so kudos!

    ReplyDelete