Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Week 2 Story Planning: Two Tickets to Paradise

Adam and Eve have resided in the Cave of Treasures for nearly 5,500 years. They know that God promised to bring them back into Paradise, so they begin to ready themselves for the fulfillment of that promise. But civilization has advanced, and so they must board an airplane to head to Paradise. Adam and Eve have two young kids, Cane and Abel, but their conservative lifestyles in the Cave have led them to refuse to purchase tickets for their kids. Now they must figure out how all four of them will make it to Paradise.




How did each day occur during the wait?
  • They awoke each as the sun rose. They pray to God. The Lord provided them with animals for nourishment once a week. They prepare their first meal and consume it after praying again. 
  • They clean what needs to be cleaned in the Cave of Treasures.
  • Cane and Abel bicker a lot. I wonder what that will lead to...
  • Adam makes dad jokes. Eve rolls her eyes.
God sends angel with two tickets to Paradise
  • They need 4 total, but God argues that he only ever said he'd bring back Adam and Eve. 
  •  Adam and Eve devise a plan to get their sons to Paradise
Packing to leave the Cave of Treasures
  •  Abel accidently leaves behind his favorite rock, but will later find a better one in Paradise. The rock will need an endearing name.
  • Should I include a scene where they need to find their misplaced passports?
  • They figure out how to get Cane and Abel to Paradise. They will just stuff them in their carry-on bags!
At the airport
  • Adam gets "randomly" selected for a strip search while at the airport.
    • He argues it's against his religion.
  •  Eve has the aisle seat, and Adam takes the window seat.
    • A random 70-year-old grandma gets placed between them, refusing to switch with Adam or Eve so that they can sit together. 
      • She asks incredibly invasive questions not knowing they were invasive questions.
  • The plane experiences turbulence
    • Adam thinks this is God trying to kill him (again).
    • Adam goes to the bathroom to pray for mercy.
Plane lands
  • God sends the Holy Uber to pick them up.
  •  They arrive at the pearly white gates.
  • The family of four get inside Paradise and begin to explore their former home.
  • Somehow Abel finds his a new favorite rock. Try to make this part of the story a long-con joke.

~ ~ ~

Author's Note: I based this story mostly on The Forgotten Book of Eden. God promises Adam and Eve that he would bring them back into Paradise after 5,500 years. I imagined a scenario where society still reached its current form. Essentially, this serves as a sequel. What would someone that old who has been ostracized for so long do if he or she were to emerge from a cave? I then took inspiration from the Bible to include Adam and Eve's two most well-known children, Cane and Abel. I found this entire thought to be absurd, so I decided it would probably be best to make the story itself outlandish. I kept Cane and Abel at a young age because I figured it could be the basis of the conflict present in the story. I tried to include aspects of the source material such as Adam believing the turbulence to be God's way of killing him just as he believed many other things to be God killing him in The Forgotten Book of Eden.

Bibliography:  
The Forgotten Book of Eden, edited by Rutherford H. Platt, Jr. (1926)
The Bible (KJV)

Image: Boarding Pass, generated using MusicAirport 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Todd! It’s nice to meet you. I have to admit that reading biblical stories is very difficult for me. I’m a firm believer that there is a higher power (or powers) at work but I’m not convinced that the specific deity of any religion is “the” God. My beliefs are pretty sternly grounded in science as well and I think the evidence for our evolutionary past is too strong to deny. However, I think your story will be fun to read and I like the angle you took on it. I find it ironic that God will be pictured as slightly cruel and non-understanding (in that he will refuse to send tickets for Cane and Able as well as Adam and Eve). I love that Adam and Eve are just going to stuff the kids in their carry on bags. That’s hilarious. I’m not sure what the misplaced passports scene would add honestly, and I think you have more than enough for a great story without it. I know as I wrote my story this week (I didn’t do a story preparation post), I found that the word limit was really easy to reach and I had to find places to trim a bit so that I wasn’t writing way too much over the word limit. Why will being strip searched be against Adam’s religious beliefs? I’m just curious, because they were traditionally naked without knowledge of what nudity was. So, this bit puzzled me a little. I’ll probably come back to read your story next week, even if I’m not in your group, because I think it will be fun to read! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback! I definitely agree with your suggestions, and I didn't even think about the word limit!

      Delete