Sunday, January 8, 2017

Storybook Favorites

I began my search for three of my favorite storybooks by randomly generating them. This quickly became irksome. So I instead opted to look at the long, compiled list, hoping a few titles would jump out at me. That did the trick. Since all of the storybooks are based on pre-existing work, I wanted to choose ones with source material I was familiar with. Doing so led me to better appreciate what each author was doing. I could get "it."

The first blog to capture my attention was Twilight Zone: Fifth Dimension. I couldn't tell you how much time I've spent watching The Twilight Zone. What I could tell you is which episode first gave me nightmares as a child. So I definitely had to open this one up.

 The Twilight Zone, Flickr

From the get-go, I figured it was pretty safe to assume this storybook would be based on Rod Serling's sci-fi hit. I really enjoyed the introduction because it did a good job at capturing that slightly unsettled feel Rod Serling's narration produced. I liked the dark color scheme as it contributed to the eeriness that I could tell the author hoped would manifest.

Overall, I really enjoyed the script format of the stories. I thought it was a unique way of presenting the stories, a style I rarely see. I appreciate that the author wanted the reader to use their own imagination for the audio and visuals because the mind often can produce something scarier than what a production company can. However, it was a bit weird when a picture was provided of something that was included in the story since it was stated that much was to be left to the reader's imagination. I think more vaguely related pictures would have done a better job of keeping the reader submerged in the story.

~ ~ ~

The next storybook I noticed was Alice's Journey through Social Media. What an interesting, modern twist to give to a well-known story. What would a girl like Alice post to her social media? What kind of language would she use? I had but one choice; I had to cyberstalk Alice!

Alice's Snap Story, generated by SnapSR

The introduction made it abundantly clear that Alice was definitely a "basic white bitch." I say that, not in a condescending manner, but in appreciation for the author nailing the Internet meme-of-a-stereotype. The way Alice narrated her experiences and her responses and reactions made this something special, something that couldn't be accomplished with just any story. 

I found it nice that the author broke up each story into many paragraphs. With all of the emojis, improper grammar, and countless uses of "literally", it made it much easier to digest. The inclusion of the social media posts was also great to see. Intentional or not, I think it was nice to the different ways Alice represented herself on the various social media platforms. I liked how clean the interface was, something social media often tries to accomplish. I'd definitely use the social media posts within my stories if it ends up being relevant enough to use.

~ ~ ~

The third storybook to win my attention was Mount Olympus Gossip. I knew of many of the Greek stories, mostly from my middle school fascination. The numerous "Who slept with who?" (or "Who slept with what?") from the ancient myths would surely produce massive quantities of gossip. So with that thought, I opened it up.

I liked how reading the introduction felt like I was reading Entertainment Weekly. It had the journalistic feel with the proper dose of hear-say. It felt like someone really had that inside scoop on all things Olympic Gods. Aside from the diction, I felt like the introduction was pretty bare-bones. I felt like the introduction could have used a more tasteful layout to better emulate a gossip magazine. 

Overall, the design was a bit underwhelming. I thought it would be better to include the images closer to the top of each story rather than throwing them at the bottom. I also think the titles would have been better using clickbait-y titles. In addition, the word "gossip" makes me think "speculation", so I think the stories could have used some theory-work. Maybe not in the facts of the stories, but possibly in motives? I think all of these things considered would help create a more cohesive, gossip-esque storybook that I felt like the author intended but fell short of.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you looked at that Twilight Zone project, Todd: that is new from last semester, and it is one of my favorites. She did such a fantastic job with each story. If I had the chance, I would love to teach a Twilight Zone class where we would watch all the episodes and people would write up Twilight Zone episodes of their own. Maybe that is something you would want to play with, either as a project for the class, or just as a storytelling experiment from week to week if one of the stories in the weekly reading inspires something Twilight-Zone-esque. When I need a creativity boost, I actually watch Twilight Zone episodes (they have 4 of the 5 seasons at Netflix and at Amazon Prime free video) ... there's just something about the spirit of that show which I find really inspiring! :-)

    ReplyDelete