Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part A



I've always been a fan of mythologies, so I do like that there are fairy tales rooted in those mythologies. I chose Cupid and Psyche because I am somewhat familiar with Cupid (and his Greek counterpart "Eros"), and wanted to expose myself to more about him. I like how Roman (and Greek) fairytales have pretty simple and direct storytelling while still being a strong story. Like Laura notes in the overview, the story is "very similar to the story of 'Beauty and the Beast,'" and she is complete right. There's something clean to stories like these that I appreciate. 

Many stories in mythological folklore are told by following one particular character. However, something I think I would like to try is telling the story through the perspective of everyone else. How would the story follow if it were told by the people Psyche interacted with or onlookers? With such a straightforward tale, it should be easy to do so. There's not much auxiliary action occurring meanwhile.

Would the gods and people she interact with her be rooting for her? Would they be annoyed? What kind of information would they know? I think it would be a neat way of looking at the story. In addition, with the noted similarity between Cupid and Psyche and Beauty and the Beast, I wonder if I could throw a Disney-spin on the story. I might take inspiration from Disney's Hercules to do so.
~ ~ ~ 

Bibliography: Cupid and Psyche by Apuleius and translated by Tony Kline, source

Image: Cupid and Psyche by John Roddam Spencer Stanhope, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment